Monday, July 11, 2011

To Be You

Hi everyone,
Here I am, at a programming session at the girlgeekcamp in Kfardebian-Lebanon,  and for some reason, I remembered one of my favorite quotes by Ralph Waldo Emerson : "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."
I can't think of a better time where it perfectly reflects what is happening now. Everywhere I go, I see the same people, not by looks of course, but by their opinion, their culture, their customs, their rights and wrongs...
Foe example, almost everyone I know has a blackberry, not that there is anything wrong with this phone, but why do we need to have the excat same phone ? One person got a blackberry, soon it spread out, and to satisfy their needs to fit in, others got that phone too !
For me, I don't have a blackberry simply because I don't realize its special features. Still, it is very hard to remain on my point of view when most of my friends disagree.
However, at the end of the day, I am proud of myself, for standing still in of all the changes. And, the feeling to know that you're still you, despite everyone ,is amazing.
Whoever you are reading this, I hope you're still you, and if you're not, you can always go back.
Sincerly, Nour  Chamseddine

1 comment:

  1. Hi alberto,
    Thank you for your encouraging words. And your tribute is very nice to hear about.
    Hope we can keep in touch,
    Best regards from Beirut,
    Reem and Nour

    ReplyDelete